Mexican-spiced beef and veggies in crisp corn tortillas.
½ (80 g) large red onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 green chilli
1 Tbsp (15 ml) origanum
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
1 tsp (5 ml) coriander seeds
1 tsp (5 ml) smoked paprika
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
1 Tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
400 g beef mince
600 g Findus Farmhand Mix, defrosted
1 C (200 g) white cheddar, grated
8 x 40 g soft corn tortillas
sunflower oil, for deep-frying
2 (500 g) large avocados, chopped
½ (80 g) large red onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp (30 ml) lime juice
2 Tbsp (30 ml) coriander, finely chopped
salt and pepper
3 (450 g) medium tomatoes, diced
3 Tbsp (45 ml) sweet chilli sauce
1 Tbsp (15 ml) lime juice
1 C (250 ml) sour cream
2 limes, cut into wedges
- Combine the onion, garlic, chilli, origanum, cumin, coriander, paprika, salt and pepper in a food processor and blend until fine.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the spice mixture and the meat and fry until browned – about 5 minutes.
Roughly chop the Findus Farmhand Mix in a food processor. Add the Findus Farmhand Mix to the meat and fry for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Stir in the cheese.
- Heat the tortillas in a microwave at high heat for 6-8 seconds until pliable. Lay the corn tortillas out on a clean surface. Divide the filling between the tortillas and place the filling at the bottom of each tortilla. Roll the tortilla up enclosing the filling and secure the seams with a couple of toothpicks. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil for deep-frying to 180 °C. Fry the taquitos in batches until golden and crisp (2-3 minutes each). Drain on kitchen paper and remove the toothpicks.
- Mash the avocado and stir in the remaining ingredients. Season to taste.
- Combine all of the ingredients and season to taste.
- Serve the taquitos with the guacamole, salsa and sour cream, for dipping. Serve with lime wedges on the side.
- TIP: The taquitos can be baked instead of fried. Brush the taquitos with oil and bake, seam-side-down, in a preheated oven at 200 °C for 15-20 minutes, until golden and crisp.