A sweet-savoury breakfast that is bursting with texture and citrusy flavour. Made with LemonGold® seedless lemons.
500 g double cream yoghurt
¼ tsp (1,25 ml) salt
zest and juice of 1 LemonGold®
200 g streaky bacon
6 large egg yolks
1 C (250 ml) milk
1 C (250 ml) cream
2 Tbsp (30 ml) brown sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
6 thick slices of white farm loaf
zest of ½ a LemonGold®
butter for pan frying
100 g pistachios, crushed
honey for drizzling
- Line a sieve or colander with muslin cloth or a clean dish towel and place it over a bowl. Add the salt, lemon zest and juice to the yoghurt and mix together to combine. Transfer the yoghurt into the lined colander and close up with the overhanging cloth. Place it in the fridge for 12-24 hours; the longer it drains the thicker it will become.
- When it is ready, open the muslin and scoop out the labneh and seal in an airtight container. (Tip the remaining whey that has drained can be used as a stock in a soup or used to soak nuts or grains).
- Preheat the oven to 200 ºC. Lay the bacon on a baking paper-lined tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins until crispy. Once cooled, chop it up into a crumble.
- Whisk the egg yolks, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt together in a bowl.
- Heat a knob of butter in a frying pan. Dunk a slice of bread in the egg mixture, allow it to absorb somewhat but don’t let it sit in the mixture for too long as it may break. Fry in a pan until golden on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside; continue until all of the slices are fried.
- Stack two slices of French toast on a plate, top with a generous dollop of LemonGold® labneh and then add bacon crumble, crushed pistachios, a dusting of icing sugar and a drizzle of honey. Serve immediately. Tip: for an extra pop of citrus flavour add small wedges of lemon segments to each plate.