Wor Wonton Soup is a wonton soup with lots of vegetables, sliced chicken, roast pork, and shrimp added, to make a full meal in one bowl.
4 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast
(or boneless skinless chicken thighs, thinly sliced)
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon neutral oil (plus 1 tablespoon, divided)
2 teaspoons water
6 ounces large shrimp (peeled, deveined)
24 frozen wontons
1 clove garlic (minced)
1/3 cup carrots (thinly sliced)
1 cup sliced baby bella or button mushrooms
2 cups baby bok choy (cut into 1-inch pieces, with leafy parts and stems separated)
6 cups chicken stock (or homemade pork and chicken stock)
4 ounces char siu (or Virginia ham, sliced into thin strips)
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Velvet the chicken by mixing it with the cornstarch, 1 teaspoon oil, and the water.
- Add the velveted chicken to the boiling water. Using your wok spatula, gently swirl the chicken in the water for 45 seconds, or until just cooked and opaque. Remove using a spider strainer or slotted spoon. Then add the shrimp. Again, cook them for 45 seconds to 1 minute (depending their size), or just until opaque. Take care not to overcook them. Remove from the boiling water and set aside.
- Drop the wontons into the boiling water, and cook for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, set your wok over medium-high heat. Add the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil, the garlic, carrots, and mushrooms. Stir fry for 2 minutes, or until the carrots are slightly softened and the mushrooms are beginning to brown.
- Add the bok choy stems to the wok and stir-fry for another minute. Next, add the stock, and bring the soup to a simmer. Add the char siu (or ham), cooked chicken, and shrimp. Let the soup come back up to a simmer.
- Your wontons should be cooked by now. Remove them from the water using a strainer and distribute them among 4 bowls.
- When the soup in your wok is simmering, stir in the leafy portions of the bok choy, the salt, white pepper, and sesame oil. Stir, taste, and adjust seasonings as needed. Ladle the soup over the wontons and enjoy!