This Peanut Butter Brownie Baked Oatmeal is an indulgent-yet-healthy breakfast with rich chocolatey goodness and just a hint of sweetness.
1.5 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium bananas) ($0.68)
1 large egg ($0.27)
1/4 cup natural peanut butter ($0.31)
1/4 cup brown sugar ($0.04)
1 tsp vanilla extract ($0.28)
1/2 tsp salt ($0.02)
1 tsp baking powder ($0.06)
1/2 tsp cinnamon ($0.05)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder ($0.29)
2 cups whole milk ($1.12)
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats* ($0.50)
2 Tbsp natural peanut butter (for topping) ($0.15)
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Mash the bananas well, then place them in a large mixing bowl along with the egg, peanut butter, brown sugar, vanilla, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and cocoa powder. Whisk until the mixture is mostly smooth (there may be small pieces of banana).
- Add the milk to the chocolate banana mixture, and then whisk until smooth again. Add the dry rolled oats and then stir until combined.
- Pour the oat mixture into a 2-3 quart casserole dish coated with non-stick spray. Drizzle the remaining 2 Tbsp peanut butter over the oats and drag a knife through to create swirls. If needed, warm the peanut butter slightly to make it runny enough to drizzle over the oats.
- Bake the oats in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Serve warm, or refrigerate until ready to eat.