The classic Christmas pudding is a bit of a marmite dish, you either love or hate it. Our alternative cream filled pudding is a no-bake chocolate masterpiece that everyone will love! If you like a tiramisu then you have to give this recipe a go.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE SHELL
200 g dark chocolate, melted and cooled
30 g butter
FOR THE TIRAMISU MIXTURE
250 ml double cream
250 ml mascarpone
2 tsp. vanilla extract
100 g caster sugar
FOR THE MOCHA DIP
1 1/2 tsp. instant espresso powder
1 1/2 tsp. cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. caster sugar
150 ml boiling water
10 lady fingers
150 g tinned mandarins, drained
2 tsp. cocoa powder
golden stars, to decorate
- Generously line a 20cm pudding basin with cling film, this will ensure your pudding turns out easily.
- Pour 150g of chocolate into the basin and carefully twist and turn the bowl so the chocolate covers the sides, making sure to leave around 3cm of the top of the bowl free from chocolate. Continue to turn the chocolate in the bowl for around a minute.
- Place in the fridge for a couple of minutes, then twist and turn the chocolate again. The aim is to achieve an even layer of chocolate around the bowl. Refrigerate for 10 minutes, or until the chocolate is set.
- Meanwhile, whisk the double cream to soft peaks, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the mascarpone, sugar and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Add the whipped cream and fold until smooth and combined, set aside. Refrigerate until needed.
- To make the mocha dip: in a small bowl, add the instant coffee, cocoa, caster sugar and boiling water. Stir until combined.
- Now it’s time to build your pudding! Remove the chocolate bowl and mascarpone mix from the fridge. Add 3tbsp of mascarpone mix to the bottom of the chocolate bowl.
- Soak three lady fingers in the mocha dip for a few seconds and place onto the mascarpone layer, followed by a spoonful of mandarins.
- Top with more mascarpone mix, dipped lady fingers and more mandarins. Repeat one more time, you should end up with three layers of ladyfingers sandwiched between your mascarpone and mandarin mix.
- Top with the remaining melted chocolate to create a top, cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, ideally overnight.
- When you’re ready to serve, turn out onto a plate and carefully remove the cling film. Finish with a dusting of cocoa and gold stars, crack open and enjoy!