Matcha powder makes a colorful garnish, sunflower orgeat combined with house-made cinnamon bitters and cocalero liqueur, a South American herbal spirit.
4 cups unsalted sunflower seeds
8 cups water
8 cups demerara sugar
4 dashes orange flower water
1 tsp salt
1 ½ oz Barsol Quebranta Pisco
½ oz Cocalero liqueur
¾ oz sunflower orgeat
½ oz lime juice
¾ oz egg white
4 dashes cinnamon bitters
Matcha powder, for garnish
- To make 8 cups sunflower orgeat: Blend sunflower seeds in a blender or food processor until fully minced, about 5 minutes. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, boil the water, sugar, and salt until dissolved. Add the sunflowers and orange flower water, and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain with a strainer and cheesecloth into a separate bowl. Let sit until it reaches room temperature.
- To make 4 cups of cinnamon bitters, combine 1 qt. Angostura bitters and ½ cup cinnamon chips in a sealable container. Let sit for 24 hours, then strain into a sealable bottle or container.
- To assemble the cocktail, add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker and shake without ice to emulsify the egg white.
- Add ice and shake for 10-20 seconds.
- Double strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with matcha powder.