This Steak Pie recipe has everything you need in a comfort food pie. Tasty home cooked meat, delicious gravy and light fluffy pastry topping.
For the pie filling
1 tbsp Oil See Note 1.
700 g Stewing beef See Note 2.
2 Large onion Peeled and chopped into big chunks (See Note 3).
4 Carrots Peeled and chopped (See note 4).
50 g Plain flour
2 tbsp Tomato puree
Salt and black pepper
600 ml Beef stock (See note 5)
For the pie
320 g Puff pastry sheet (See note 6)
1 Egg Beaten
- Heat your oil in a large frying pan or saucepan and add the beef. Cook for about 5 – 10 minutes until just starting to turn brown.
- Add in the vegetables and cook for a further 5 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the flour and stir through everything, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree, salt and pepper and stock. Pop the lid on and cook on a very low heat for about 2 hours or until the beef is very soft.
- NB: Keep an eye on the beef as it cooked, stir it well occassionally and if it looks like there is not enough liquid, don’t be afraid to add a little more stock or water.
- Spoon into a pie dish and leave to cool for at least 30 minutes if you have time.
- Smooth the pastry over the top of the filling.
- Decorate the pie with cut out shapes if you feel that way inclined and brush with the beaten egg.
- When you are ready to bake the pie, preheat the oven to 220C and bake for about 30 minutes until the filling is hot throughout and the pastry is crisp and golden.