Serve this show-stopping sushi ‘pie’ as part of an entertaining spread.
220g sliced smoked salmon
3 cups SunRice Koshihikari sushi rice
3 tbsp caster sugar
3/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup sushi seasoning
2 nori sheets
Japanese-style mayonnaise, to serve
Thinly sliced green onion strips, to serve
Lemon, sliced, to serve
Soy sauce, to serve
- Place rice in a fine sieve. Rinse under cold water, stirring with your hand, until the water runs clear. Drain well. Combine rice and 4.5 cups cold water in a large saucepan. Cover. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Gently simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat. Stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Transfer to a large ceramic or plastic shallow dish.
- Using a spatula, stir rice to break up any lumps. Sprinkle rice with sugar and salt. Gradually add sushi seasoning, lifting and turning rice, until seasoning is well combined and the liquid is absorbed. Cool to room temperature and use immediately.
- Lightly grease a 22cm-round (base) springform cake pan. Line base and side of pan with plastic wrap. Arrange salmon over base of pan, overlapping slightly.
- Spread half the sushi rice on top of salmon. Using damp fingers, press rice into an even layer. Top rice with nori, trimming to fit. Spread with remaining sushi rice. Using damp fingers, press rice into an even layer (see note). Cover with plastic wrap. Top with hard cardboard round, followed by 4 cans. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove cans. Remove side from pan. Turn sushi onto a chopping board. Remove plastic wrap. Using a very sharp knife and wiping knife after each cut, slice sushi cake into 12 wedges. Drizzle with mayonnaise. Serve with green onion, lemon and soy sauce.