Featuring smoked salmon, prawns with whipped ricotta, rye and chive crepes and a sweet pickled cucumber salad with chopped egg, there’s something for everyone on this Scandi-inspired seafood smorgasbord.
400g smoked salmon
Store-bought horseradish beetroot dip, to serve
Store-bought marinated white asparagus, to serve
Baby amaranth leaves (or chard leaves), to serve
Prawns with Whipped Ricotta
Vegetable oil, to shallow fry
300g school prawns
¼ cup rice flour
1 tsp crushed fennel seeds
½ tsp caraway seeds
1 cup fresh ricotta
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
1 small target beetroot, thinly sliced
- Half-fill a medium saucepan with oil and place over medium-high heat until it reaches 180°C on a deep frying thermometer.
- Toss the prawns in the rice flour and fry in batches for 1-2 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, and set aside to drain on absorbent paper.
- Repeat with remaining prawns. Sprinkle the prawns with fennel seeds, caraway and salt and pepper.
- Mix to combine the ricotta and lemon and spoon into a shallow bowl and top with beetroot.
Rye and Chive Crepes
½ cup rye flour
½ cup plain flour
3 cups milk
1 bunch chives, finely chopped
¼ tsp sea salt flakes
50g unsalted butter, melted
- To make the crepes, place the flours in a large bowl. Combine the milk, eggs, chives and salt and whisk to combine. Slowly add to the flour mixture, whisking until smooth. Cover and stand for 20 minutes.
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon of the butter and pour ¼ cup of the crepe mixture into the pan, gently tip the pan to evenly spread the mixture. Cook for 2 minutes each side or until turned golden. Repeat.
Sweet Pickled Cucumber Salad with Chopped Egg
1 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 telegraph cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- Combine the sugar, vinegar and 1 tbsp water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Take off the heat. Pour into a large bowl.
- Add the cucumber and gently toss to combine. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, in order to pickle.
- To make the salad, combine the egg and chives. Spoon the cucumber into shallow bowls and top with egg.