A light and effervescent cocktail that’s perfect for an early autumn party.
Saffron Simple Syrup
5–10 saffron threads
½ cup water
1 cup sugar
2 fl oz gin
4 fl oz grapefruit juice
2 fl oz saffron simple syrup (Ingredients above; directions above right)
4 fl oz prosecco
- Make the Saffron Simple Syrup: Place the saffron in a skillet and bring to medium-high heat. Gently toast until the skillet is too hot for you to touch the center with your finger, about 1–2 minutes.
- Transfer the saffron into a mortar and pestle, and grind it into a fine powder.
- Place water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Take 1⁄4 cup of the warm syrup and pour over the saffron inside the mortar. Stir it around and pour it back into the saucepan. Let cool before using. Store extra syrup covered in the refrigerator for up to a month.
- Make the cocktail: Combine the gin, grapefruit juice, and saffron simple syrup in a shaker filled with ice. Shake briefly.
- Strain evenly into two Champagne flutes or coupes.
- Pour prosecco over top and serve.