A speedy pâté that can be prepped in as little as 15 minutes. It can also be made well in advance and frozen to avoid that pre-party kitchen frenzy.
1 small onion, diced
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
200g trimmed chicken livers
100ml double cream
5 slices from a 500g sliced brioche loaf
100g cranberry sauce
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and cook the onion for about 5 minutes on a low heat until softened. Stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Increase the heat, add the chicken livers to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes each side. Add the cream with a pinch of salt and some ground black pepper, and gently heat with the chicken livers for a couple of minutes; they should still be slightly pink inside.
- Tip the pan contents into a food processor and blitz for a minute until smooth. Cool, cover and chill for at least 1 hour to thicken up.
- Preheat the grill to medium. Cut each brioche slice into 6 equal pieces and place them all on a baking tray. Toast under the grill for 30-60 seconds on each side until golden, keeping a very close eye on them, as they burn easily.
- Assemble up to 30 minutes ahead; place a teaspoonful of the pâté on each brioche toast and then top with a little cranberry sauce.