Crispy, air fried paneer tossed in a spicy, Indo-Chinese sauce.
1/2 block paneer (200 g – chopped into medium sized cubes)
2 tbsp all purpose flour/white flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp red chili powder
A pinch of red food coloring (optional)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Salt to taste
1/2 – 1 cup of water
2 tbsp oil
2 cloves of garlic (minced/crushed)
1 inch ginger (grated)
2 green chills (minced)
1 small red onion (chopped into medium squares)
2 scallions/spring onions (sliced into thin circles and separated into white and green parts)
1/2 small green pepper/ capsicum (chopped into medium squares)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp red chili sauce
1/4 tsp white rice vinegar
1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
Salt to taste
- If your paneer is frozen, let it thaw. Chop into medium sized cubes. Keep aside.
Mix the Batter
- Add 2 tbsp white flour, 2 tbsp cup corn starch, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, a pinch of red food coloring (optional), 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, and salt (to taste) to a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Slowly add in about 1/2 – 1 cup of water till you get a smooth, flowing batter. (Note: It should be thick and not watery.)
- Coat a paneer cube with a thin, even coating of batter. (Note: If the batter doesn’t stick to or coat the paneer properly, add a bit more white flour and cornstarch using a 1:1 ratio.)
Air Fry the Paneer
- Spray a bit of cooking spray in the air fryer tray.
- Place coated paneer cubes in air fryer tray. Add as many paneer cubes as you can in the tray without having them touch each other.
- Brush a little oil on top of each paneer cube.
- Pre-heat air fryer to 400°F for 3 minutes.
- Place the air fryer tray in the air fryer. Let paneer cook for 10 minutes. Halfway through, at the 5 minute mark, flip the paneer. After 5 more minutes, take the paneer out and keep aside.
Make the Sauce
- To make the sauce, first heat 2 tbsp of oil in a wok at a medium flame.
- Add 2 cloves garlic (minced/crushed), 1 inch ginger (grated) and 2 green chilis (minced) and sauté.
- Add 1 small red onion (chopped into medium squares) and the white part of 2 scallions/spring onions (thinly sliced into circles). Sauté till translucent.
- Then, add 1/2 green pepper/ capsicum (chopped into medium squares) and sauté. Cook covered for a few minutes.
- Once the green pepper is cooked, add 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp red chili sauce, and 1/4 tsp vinegar. Mix well and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Once the sauce starts to bubble, add a mixture of 1 tbsp of cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water. (Note: This is the “secret” ingredient to a thick sauce.)
- If you want wet Paneer Manchurian, add another 1/2 cup of water. If you prefer it dry, skip this step and keep going.
- Add 1/4 tsp ground black pepper and salt to taste. Let the sauce simmer for a few minutes.
- Once the sauce starts to bubble, turn off the flame.
- Off flame, add the air fried paneer to the sauce. Mix and garnish with the green part of 2 scallions/spring onions (thinly sliced into circles). Enjoy!