Whether or not you actually like gingerbread cookies is kinda irrelevant. You make them every single year because they make people happy. And because they’re so damn adorable.
180 g butter, softened
170 g brown sugar
190 g treacle
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
420 g plain flour
1 tbsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
icing, for decorating
sprinkles, for decorating
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter, brown sugar, and treacle until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, spices, baking soda, and salt until combined. With the mixer on low, gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until dough just comes together. (Do not overmix!)
- Divide dough in half and create two discs. Wrap each in plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Place one disc of dough on a lightly floured surface and roll until 1/4″ thick. Cut out gingerbread men with a 3″ wide cutter and transfer to baking sheets.
- Bake until slightly puffed and set, 9 to 10 minutes, depending on the size of your cookie cutters. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining disc of dough. Decorate with icing and sprinkles as desired.