Tomato, mozzarella and basil is a classic combination for a reason. Our take on the Italian caprese salad adds in charred chicken strips and bulgur wheat for a nourishing meal.
100g bulgur wheat
1½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1½ tsp
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp clear honey
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 small red onion, sliced
2 skinless chicken breast fillets
150g mixed cherry tomatoes, halved
½ x 30g pack basil, leaves picked
75g lighter mozzarella, drained
- Rinse the bulgur wheat then cook in salted boiling water for 8-10 minutes or until just tender. Drain, place in a large bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Whisk together 1½ tablespoons of oil, the vinegar, honey and garlic with some seasoning in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat ½ teaspoon of oil in the same pan you used for the bulgur and cook the red onion with a splash of water for 6-8 minutes, until softened. Add to the bowl of bulgur wheat.
- Place the chicken breasts on a board, cover with a piece of baking paper and bash with a rolling pin to an even 1-1.5cm thickness. Brush with 1 teaspoon of oil and season well. Cook on a hot griddle pan for about 4 minutes on each side, or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a board and slice into strips.
- Stir the honey-balsamic dressing, the cherry tomatoes, chicken strips and most of the basil through the bulgur wheat; season to taste. Divide between bowls, tear over the mozzarella and scatter on the rest of the basil.