This berry cream layer atop a buttery and earthy shortbread combo is, without a doubt, a matcha made in heaven.
For the Matcha Shortbread
¾ cup butter, softened
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp miso
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 tbsp matcha
¼ cup pistachios, finely chopped
For the Berry Cream
¼ cup water
2 ¼ tsp powdered gelatin (one standard packet)
2 cups full-fat coconut milk
2 tbsp condensed milk or honey, to taste
½ tsp miso
4 tbsp raspberry or strawberry jam
1 tsp lemon zest or lemon juice
1 drop red food coloring gel (optional)
⅓ cup dried cranberries (optional)
For the Toppings (Optional)
matcha or strawberry powder
fresh raspberries or sliced strawberries
edible gold flakes
- To make the matcha shortbread, preheat the oven to 350°F and place a rack in the center.
- Grease or line a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar, and miso until well incorporated and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the flour and matcha and mix on medium-low speed until a dough forms. Fold the pistachios into the dough until evenly distributed.
- Transfer the shortbread dough to the prepared pan. Using the back of a spoon or clean fingers, firmly press the mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan, covering all edges and the sides. Use a fork to poke holes across the entire surface of the dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until lightly browned and puffy. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the berry cream, combine water and gelatin in a bowl. Let the gelatin bloom (absorb water) for a few minutes and then microwave for 10 seconds, until melted.
- In a large bowl, add the coconut milk, condensed milk or honey, miso, jam, lemon juice or zest, and optional food coloring and whisk until homogeneous. Stir in the melted gelatin and mix until combined. Fold the optional dried cranberries into the mixture. Take the pan out of the refrigerator. Pour the berry cream on top of the shortbread. Tap gently against the counter and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Cut into 12-16 even pieces. Garnish with the optional toppings. Enjoy! Refrigerate leftovers and consume within a few days.