If you can eat bacon for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, why not for dessert? Sprinkle some crispy, salty bacon onto sweet maple cupcakes for one incredible treat.
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. cake flour (not self-rising)
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 stick unsalted butter
1 3/4 c. sugar
4 large eggs
2 tbsp. maple extract
1 1/4 c. milk
2 c. heavy cream
1 lb. semisweet chocolate
Pinch of salt
- Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the cupcake pans with your choice of cupcake liners. Into a medium bowl, sift together flours, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in maple extract. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the milk and beginning and ending with the flour; beat until combined after each addition.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake 20 minutes until golden and the tester comes out clean. (Or until your house smells like pancakes!)
- Ganache: In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring cream to a full boil; turn off heat. Add chocolate, and swirl pan to completely cover with cream. Slowly whisk mixture until smooth. (To get silky-smooth ganache takes longer to mix than you think!) Add salt; stir until combined. Transfer to a clean bowl and let chill overnight or until spreadable.
- When cupcakes have cooled, spread some ganache on top. Chill for a minute or two. While the cupcakes are chilling, cook up some of your favorite bacon however you like it. (Crunchy and toasted is recommended.) Chop in pieces, top the cupcakes, and voilà!